1.08.2013

handmade things for Henry

I was hoping that the crib would be set up by now, and the "nursery" would be complete. But in true procrastination style, it still hasn't happened. Jeremy got sick for about a week (actually still sick), then we pulled out the crib pieces a couple nights ago from the basement closet and now can't find the bag of screws that go with it. I can't remember where in the world I put that baggie when we moved. It was just a short 4 months ago that Pearce was still sleeping in it. UGH! I need to start looking in all the closets, drawers, etc today. Otherwise I'll have to wait even longer for the crib to be set up since Jeremy will be on a biz trip for rest of week. :-(

and PS - baby will be here next Friday!!! Uh, that's totally soon!!! So I've been under the gun to finish all the projects that I got started for him... I still need to finish a little hand-quilted blankie, and assemble a mobile using some sailboat ornaments that I wasn't quite ready to pack up with the Christmas stuff. But here is some stuff I HAVE finished....

I did another quilting bee this year with my sister, Jessica, and for my month I figured I'd do a quilt for the baby. I chose the Starburst Quilt as featured on one of my fave quilting blogs, Film in the Fridge. I like how colorful it is, and thought it would make a great "playmat" and good for "tummytime". Something Pearce didn't get very much of, and I think that's why she never learned to crawl! Just the bum-scoot at around 10 months...

It was really helpful doing this with a quilting bee, many hands make for a lighter load. And it makes it more meaningful knowing that 4 blocks came from my big sis Jess, 1 block came from my sister-in-law Brittany, who tried out quilting blocks for the first time, 4 blocks from my good friend in Carlsbad, Elise, and 1 block from my good ole college pal, Natalie, who also tried out quilting bee for first time.




And I also made 2 flannel receiving blankets. Super quick and easy. Just sew 2 pieces of 1-yard flannel together with binding. And I like the touch of rounded corners. And these are extra special to me because Jeremy helped me pick out the fabrics. :-)




5 comments:

mama said...

Great job! I wonder if Amy knows where the bag of screws are. Didn't she help with the move?

You need to put the brakes on little lady! Time to slow it down, put the feet up, and relax. SERIOUSLY!

Elise said...

I am DYING over the quilt!! Looks so great emily! What a vision and it came together beautifully. Next baby, I might just have to copy! Such a fun quilt. And the Sarah Jane binding is perfect. Actually, so are those receiving blankets. How did I not know that line was in flannel?! So cozy for a new babe.

Jessica said...

i LOVE those flannel blankets! so soft and cuddly looking. and of course, the playmat is awesome. i can't believe he'll be here next week!!! crazy!!

allegra said...

EMily!!!! You never cease to amaze me. These are so sweet and so handsome for Henry. It's so fun and special to make little things for them. You're nesting, that's for sure:) The quilt is so beautiful. That's the kind of thing you'll cherish forever, keep forever, and pass down to his kids one day. Such a wonderful sweet mother you are. and talented to boot! The receiving blankets are so cute and I love that Jeremy helped pick out the fabric. I'm sure he's excited for his little buddy to arrive. So frustrating about the screws!!! ugh! I know you probably just want it all DONE and finished. Totally get that feeling! And aren't husbands gone at the most inconveinent times? haha. Maybe a home teacher will come over and help you put it together or something. Excited to see pics of this little guy!!

Shannon said...

You are so on the ball! You've got everything ready for little H! I love your quilt and blankets! Soooo cute! How neat that your sis, friends and Brittany made some of the quilt too. It makes it extra special! The excitement is mounting! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...